Substance abuse as a community health problem.
Violence and nursing response.
Read chapter 26 and 27 of the class textbook and review the PowerPoint presentations under Lectures. Once done answer the following questions.
1. Discuss the historical trends and current conceptions of the cause and treatment of substance abuse.
2. Describe the ethical and legal implications of substance abuse.
3. Identify factors that influence violence.
4. Identify at-risk populations for violence and the role of public health in dealing with the epidemic of violence.
Disaster in the Community.
Read chapter 22 and 28 of the class textbook and review the Power Points under Lectures. Once done, answer the following questions.
1. Identify and discuss the types of disasters.
2. Mention and discuss two natural or man-made disasters that recently occurred and discuss how they affect the community health.
3. Discuss the stages of disaster management.
5. Describe and discuss the role and responsibilities of nurses in relation to disasters.
1. Define and discuss in your own words the definitions and models for disability.
2. Discuss the difference between illness and disability.
3. Compare and contrast the characteristics of rural and urban communities.
4. Discuss the impact of structural and personal barriers on the health of rural aggregates.
Read chapter 20 of the class textbook and review the PowerPoint presentation under Lectures. Once done answer the following questions;
1. In your own word and using the appropriate evidence-based references define family and describe the different types of family.
2. Identify characteristics of the family that have implications for community health nursing practice.
3. Discuss a model of care for families.
4. Describe strategies for moving from intervention at the family level to intervention at the aggregate level.